Lakeshore Fire Responds To A Carbon Monoxide Close Call

Wednesday December 22nd, 2021

Posted at 8:23pm

0
0
0

A carbon monoxide decor gets the credit for a happy ending in Lakeshore.

In the early evening hours of December 19th, firefighters responded to a home after residents reported their CO alarm had activated. Upon arrival, crews entered the home and used monitoring equipment which revealed high concentrations of carbon monoxide gas.

“Without the CO alarm and the quick action taken by residents, this could have been a much sadder story,” said Lakeshore Fire Chief Don Williamson. “This serves as an important reminder, especially around the holidays. CO alarms save lives, and we need to stay vigilant to ensure they are working properly.”

An investigation found that a malfunctioning water heater was the source of the CO leak.

Carbon monoxide, known as the Invisible Killer, is a colourless, odourless, poisonous gas that results from the incomplete burning of fuels such as natural gas, propane, oil, wood, coal, and gasoline. Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms and be fatal.

Carbon monoxide alarms are required outside of the sleeping areas in any dwelling that has a fuel burning appliance or attached garage. Residents should also ensure that any fuel burning appliances are well maintained and are operating correctly as per manufacturer recommendations.

“If you or your family members are ever in doubt about the status of your CO alarms, do not hesitate to call 911,” Chief Williamson added. “Even if it’s a false or faulty alarm, we are happy to respond to make sure everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.”

 

Do You Like This Article?