Mostly CloudyNow
-4 °C
26 °F
Mainly SunnySun
7 °C
45 °F
11 °C
52 °F
Chance Of ShowersTue
12 °C
54 °F

Things To Do In
Windsor Essex

Follow Us On

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

WITH PHOTOS: Spits Hang On For Win

Friday November 20th, 2015, 7:41am


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 3019 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

Photos by: Tim Cornett/

The game didn’t go quite as well as it did the last time these two teams met inside the WFCU Centre, but the Spitfires got the job done. In a back-and-forth second period, Christian Fischer scored his second of the night, the eventual game-winner that would secure the two points. It was too close for comfort, but the Spits skated away with a 3-2 victory over the Guelph Storm.

Each team scored a goal apiece in the first period, with Windsor starting things off just 23 seconds into the game. The play began when the Guelph Storm had a chance immediately after the opening faceoff. They came close, and then it was Windsor’s turn. The Spitfires rushed up the ice. A quick give-and-go play with Bradley Latour around a defender gave the Spits an early 1-0 lead. Later, on the powerplay, a cross-ice pass from Tyler Boston to Garrett McFadden was enough to draw the goalie away and tie the game. To close out a 1-1 first period, Windsor had a 5-on-3 powerplay that would carry into the second.

The Spits weren’t able to take advantage with the extra players, but that didn’t stop them from putting up another goal. A little over five minutes into the period, Windsor had control of the puck in the Guelph end. Andrew Burns fired a wrist-shot from the point that was deflected past the goaltender by Logan Brown. Things got heated between the teams as scrums began to sprout. Less than two minutes after the Spits grabbed the upper hand, the Storm tied the game once again. Kyle Rhodes snuck in and let a shot go. Garret Hughson made the save, but a second effort from James McEwan was enough to even the game. On the ensuing faceoff, Fischer burst into the Storm zone and fired a tricky shot that fooled goalie Bradley Van Schubert. It took only six seconds. Windsor had a chance to go up by a pair on another 5-on-3, but to no avail. The period settled down and came to a close, with Windsor leading 3-2.

There was a slow start to the third as both teams tried to put up a few chances. Nothing would come for it as the two squads attempted to score the next goal. It wasn’t until the last minute where thiings got interesting. With just over 30 seconds to play, the Storm managed to beat Hughson once more and tie the game – but the goal was waved off. The play was ruled with a high-stick redirection as the goal was nulled. Guelph tried again but couldn’t make it happen. Windsor held on to win 3-2 Thursday over the Storm.

The Spits face the Owen Sound Attack next this Saturday, November 21st at 7:05pm.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message