Spitfires Comeback Comes Up Short

Wednesday February 19th, 2014

Posted at 7:16am

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hello time traveller!!

This article is 1613 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

In a high-scoring showdown, the Windsor Spitfires went to war with the London Knights. The rivals fought Tuesday night at the WFCU Centre. The Knights were just a little stronger than the Spitfires though. Matt Rupert scored with 1:16 left in overtime to knock the Spits out of the sky. Windsor lost a tough one to London 6-5. 

Prior to the drop of the puck, the Windsor community remembered its fallen captain, Mickey Renaud. A video tribute and on-ice ceremony honoured Mickey’s legacy.

When the game began, it was evident it would be a battle. London got on the board first when Bo Horvat blocked a clearing attempt and skated in for the goal. Windsor evened it up later as Ryan Foss found Brady Vail sneaking in. The Spitfires were coming close once more, but the Knights stopped them, and soon after, regained the lead. Max Domi showcased his speed, skating from end to end, and beating Alex Fotinos glove side. After the first period, the Spits were down 2-1.

The Knights continued to pressure the Spitfires early in the second. In doing so, they were able to go up by a pair. Josh Anderson was left alone in front and he made no mistake of putting the puck in. Following the goal, penalty after penalty was taken. The teams exchanged calls at both ends before Windsor took advantage. Trevor Murphy let a howitzer go that beat goalie Jake Patterson. With two periods down, the Spits were again within one.

London sent the same energy it had all game towards the Spitfires in the third. As a result, the visitors extended their lead with goals from Zach Bell and Bo Horvat, making it a 5-2 game. Windsor lost a valuable asset in Trevor Murphy near the midway mark of the third. He landed awkwardly on his leg; an ambulance arrived later to take him to a hospital. Less than 7 minutes remained and the Spitfires needed something to happen. Fortunately, a 2-on-1 gave the Spits some room to move. The puck made its way to Foss beside the net, and he put it in. 46 seconds later, Josh Ho-Sang scored on a speedy wrap-around. And 48 seconds after that, Cristiano DiGiacinto tied it when he batted the puck into the net. Windsor scored three goals in 1:34 to tie the game at 5. The remaining five minutes ticked down and the teams were headed to overtime.

Both the Spitfires and Knights had chances in the extra frame. However, London halted Windsor’s comeback. Matt Rupert’s wrist-shot fooled Fotinos as his team skated away with the victory. The Spitfires and their rally fall to the Knights 6-5.

Windsor’s next home game is this Thursday, February 20th against the Kitchener Rangers.

Do You Like This Article?