4 °C
39 °F
9 °C
48 °F
11 °C
52 °F
Chance Of ShowersWed
10 °C
50 °F

Local Events

Traffic Cameras

Photo Of The Day

Lowest Gas Prices

Spitfires End 2013 On High Note

Tuesday December 31st, 2013, 7:37pm


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 3366 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

After playing outdoors Sunday afternoon, the Windsor Spitfires were back under the roof of the WFCU Centre to battle the Plymouth Whalers. Tuesday afternoon, they did nearly everything right against their foes. Windsor won 5-1 against Plymouth to win their 4th straight. 

Windsor has outscored 20-7 at home during the month of December.

Dalen Kuchmey once again started in goal for the Spitfires, and he did not disappoint. He allowed but one goal on 26 shots.

Windsor had itself another dominant showing today, starting in the first period with a great setup from Josh Ho-Sang. He circled the net and found a couple Spits out front. Ben Johnson stuffed the puck past goalie Zack Bowman. The goal was the only one of the period, but it was evident that Windsor was ready to rule the game. The Spits outshot the Whalers 15-3 after the opening 20 minutes.

Windsor’s strongest period was certainly the second as they came out firing. The team scored three straight. Remy Giftopoulos scored a beauty of a goal on a 2-on-1 when Ho-Sang sent him a pass in front. Giftopoulos made a little move before sliding the puck in. Less than two minutes later, Stephen Janes contributed a goal to extend his team’s lead. Slater Koekkoek – who received the game’s first star – threw the puck toward the net, where Janes redirected it past Bowman. To close out the scoring for the period, Nikita Yazkov deflected a shot from Eric Diodati behind the goaltender. Windsor had a commanding 4-0 heading into final period.

Early in the third, the Plymouth Whalers spoiled Kuchmey’s chances of a shutout by finally getting the puck into the back of the net. Connor Chatham thought he scored short-side, but Kuchmey stood tall. The puck was sent to the blueline and the shot beat the partially screened goalie.

In the dying seconds of the game, Sam Povorozniouk finished the scoring by fighting off a check and sending the puck into the empty net.

The Windsor Spitfires harpoon the Whalers 5-1.

The Spits return to action at the WFCU Centre Thursday, January 9th, 2014 when they face the Ottawa 67s at 7:05pm.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message