Jordan DeKort, Windsor Earn 4-2 Comeback Win

Friday October 11th, 2013

Posted at 8:01am


Hello time traveller!!

This article is 3227 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

Windsor’s shaky start was answered with a strong finish. After Dalen Kuchmey allowed two early goals, Bob Boughner switched his goaltenders. Jordan DeKort came into the game with a rough record, but he was up to the task Thursday night. He stopped every shot he faced, and led the Spitfires to a 4-2 victory over the Belleville Bulls.

At the drop of the puck on the opening faceoff, Belleville set the pace. It took only 25 seconds; the Bulls scored before the fans could even sit down. Brendan Gaunce found the loose puck lying under Dalen Kuchmey’s pad. He tucked it into the net to get the early lead. a few minutes later, Garrett Hooey let a tricky wrist-shot go that beat Kuchmey, stick-side.

Two quick goals from the opposing Bulls had Jordan DeKort heading to the blue paint.

The timely decision by coach Bob Boughner to change goaltenders was key for his Spitfires. They came back from the two-goal deficit to tie the game before the period’s end.

Kerby Rychel got his team on the board first when Trevor Murphy sprung him on a breakaway. Rychel’s nifty deke in close was too much for goalie Charlie Graham.

With the lead cut in half, the Spitfires really got their engines going. Rychel was back to set up Brady Vail. As a speedy Vail made his way around the defenders, he received a pass in front of Graham. One move later and Windsor evened the game at two.

Despite being down by two – and coming back – in the previous period, the Spitfires were tough on the Bulls in the second. Windsor’s offense overpowered that of Belleville’s, outshooting the Bulls 22-3 in the period. Within those 22 shots included Vail’s second goal of the night. Steven Janes threw a pass to Ben Johnson. After skating around the net, he found Vail battling hard against the defenseman. His high one-timer was no match for Graham. The low-scoring period ended in Windsor’s favour as the Spitfires took to the locker room with a 3-2 lead, and a 35-13 shot advantage.

Early in the third, Windsor was back on the hunt for another goal. The Spits continued to put pressure on the Bulls. It was a fast, rising slap-shot from Nick Ebert that would extend his team’s lead by two. Following the goal, the Spitfires ran into penalty trouble. They took four straight penalties, two of which resulted in a 5-on-3. Fortunately, Windsor’s defense was as solid as its offense, and all penalties were killed. The Spitfires celebrated a 4-2 victory over the Belleville Bulls in front of a crowd of 4901.

Windsor is back at the WFCU Centre next Thursday, October 17th to take on the Guelph Storm.

Do You Like This Article?