UPDATED: Argyle Road Fire Caused $4M in Damages
Thursday September 20th, 2018
Posted at 9:48am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 152 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Last updated: Friday September 21st, 4:06pm
The massive blaze behind Market Square in Walkerville caused $4 million in damages.
Crews were called to the 1300 block of Argyle Road near Iroquois Street just before noon, Wednesday, and found heavy fire coming from the warehouse.
Nearby residents were told to close their windows and shelter in place due to the heavy smoke, but fire officials confirm no toxic chemicals were burning.
Around 6pm officials issued a voluntary evacuation on Ottawa to Shepherd and Argyle to Kildare. Residents were able to shelter at Gino Marcus Community Centre on Drouillard.
PHOTOS: Massive Walkerville Fire
The Shoppers Drug Mart, bingo hall and Market Square were all closed by fire officials.
Enwin also reported that due to the huge amounts of water being used, that water may appear discoloured or contain sediment between Walker and Windermere and Ontario and Seneca. The water is safe and they advised residents to let it run until clear.
Heavy equipment was brought in around 9pm to knock down some walls for firefighters could get at the flames.
The fire was declared out around 7am and roads that were closed in the area all reopened around 9am.
No injuries were reported in the blaze.