City Plans Special Flood Pick-Up
Wednesday August 30th, 2017
Posted at 11:27am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 326 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Last updated: Wednesday August 30th, 5:51pm
The City of Windsor reports that as of 3:45pm Wednesday, 311 had received 2,688 basement flooding reports, both online and over the phone.
The Public Drop-off Depot on Central Avenue is open and will accept items. However, Environmental Services is reporting significant wait times at the drop off depot. Residents are encouraged to leave flood damaged items at the curb to be collected during the special garbage pickup planned for this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Collection will begin in the Riverside area of Windsor. Any items not picked up during the special collection dates will be picked up during previously scheduled yard waste days. Yard waste collection will be cancelled on those days for the next two weeks.
This special pickup is for those who do not have a paid contractor working on their properties, as paid contractors are responsible for taking any damaged materials to the landfill.
Special Pickup Details:
- Flood damaged materials include mattresses, appliances, rugs (cut and bundled in 4 foot lengths), furniture, and building materials (bundled, bagged or placed in pails). Nails must be removed from all wood and drywall. Appliances must have doors secured shut.
- Collection crews will not pick up loose material. All loose items must be placed at the curb in garbage bags weighing no more than 20 kilograms (44 pounds). Bags should not be stacked but rather placed side by side. The hard-sided garbage container by-law will be waived for this special collection only.
- Household chemical waste, paint cans, and other chemicals are not to be placed at the curb. Please visit the Household Chemical Waste Depot for proper disposal of those items.
- Please have items at the curb (not in the alley) by 6:00 a.m. on the scheduled pick up days for flood related materials. Normal residential garbage pick-up continues in addition to pre-scheduled flood service pick-ups.
- 311’s hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We thank residents for their co-operation and patience during this time.