DiGiacinto Fuels Spitfires In 7-3 Win

Friday October 25th, 2013

Posted at 8:13am


Hello time traveller!!

This article is 3211 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

Cristiano DiGiacinto. The name will be heard plenty at the WFCU Centre, and around the OHL. For the second straight game, the new Spitfire earned the game’s first star. With his scoring ability and teamwork, he and his team were able to fly right by the Owen Sound Attack Thursday night to a 7-3 victory.

Windsor’s offense picked up the last few games when it needed to most – the beginning of the game. As a result, the Spits were off to an energetic and quick start. Off a pass from DiGiacinto, Ben Johnson kicked the puck up to his skate and put it behind goalie Brandon Hope. Owen Sound came right back, though, for the tying goal. Kyle Hope’s slap-shot from inside the circle beat goalie Alex Fotinos.

Following the Attack goal, all hope was lost for the visitors as the Spitfires lit up the scoreboard.

Starting the scoring spree was DiGiacinto. He deflected a point shot up and over the goaltender, and into the net. Next, Steven Janes set off the red light when his wrist-shot went top shelf. 37 seconds later, Josh Ho-Sang scored his 8th of the season. Remy Giftopoulos managed to keep the puck in the zone and sent it to Ho-Sang in the corner. He swerved and fought off defenders before putting a high shot over Hope. Rounding up the scoring in the first period was Giftopoulos. Brady Vail sent the puck down low to Kerby Rychel, who quickly passed it off to Giftopoulos in the crease. He battled and got the goal.

After twenty minutes, the Windsor Spitfires were celebrating a 5-1 lead.

Going into the second period, Owen Sound decided to switch goalies, sending in Jack Flinn. The change must have bumped up the Attack’s confidence as they scored just over a minute in. Gemel Smith set up Cameron Brace, who lifted the puck over Fotinos’ shoulder. Windsor fired back on offense and once again extended its lead. From behind the net, Trevor Murphy passed to Johnson, who sent it right to Vail in front. His 8th goal put the Spits up 6-2. Four minutes later, Owen Sound attacked again. A wrist-shot by Kurtis Gabriel from the top of the circle caught Fotinos. The Spits got the goal back once more. Slater Koekkoek’s one-timer from the blue line was redirected by DiGiacinto and put past Flinn.

The goal wrapped up the scoring for the period, as well as the game.

In the third period, Windsor dominated much like it’s done all game, restraining Owen Sound to two shots.

With that, the Spitfires skated away with a notable 7-3 win over the Owen Sound Attack.

The two teams will face off again next Saturday, November 2nd at 7:05pm, at the WFCU Centre.

Do You Like This Article?