Light SnowNow
-1 °C
30 °F
Chance Of FlurriesSat
0 °C
32 °F
Periods Of Rain Or SnowSun
1 °C
34 °F
Chance Of FlurriesMon
-5 °C
23 °F

Local Events

Traffic Cameras

Photo Of The Day

Lowest Gas Prices

Spitfires Stumble In Season Closer

Sunday March 17th, 2013, 8:54pm


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 3603 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

Windsor made it to the finish line, but not in one piece. A shorthanded end to the season left the Spitfires heartbroken, with no hope for the playoffs. They tried to make it. Tried, but just could not hold on. And they were no match for Plymouth at this point. The Whalers skated into the WFCU Centre and defeated the Spits 4-0 Sunday afternoon.

The game began fairly one-sided, but not the way the Spitfires would have liked. Nearly five minutes into the opening period, the Whalers would grab the lead with the game’s first goal. Connor Carrick slid a cross-ice pass to Stefan Noesen in the Windsor zone. After faking the shot, he sent the puck to Sebastian Uvira alone in front. He tapped it behind Jordan DeKort to give his team a 1-0 advantage. The period took a physical twist after a few bumps and fights. There was no love lost and plenty of bad blood between the two western conference rivals.

Windsor was not able to mount much offense throughout the second period. Plymouth, on the other hand, was looking for more. Ready and able, the Whalers added a pair prior to the period’s end. First, Vincent Trocheck left the puck for a passing Stefan Noesen. He skated from left to right in close and before slipping the puck between the pad and the post. With 12 seconds remaining in the period, a juicy rebound from Gianluca Curcuruto’s slap-shot went to straight to the stick of Cody Payne. He made the easy shot into the empty not as the Whalers went up by three. Late scuffles at the end of the period resulted in a Plymouth power-play to start the third.

The Windsor Spitfires successfully killed off their penalty, and got some chances on a power-play of their own shortly after. With the extra man, the Spitfires cycled the puck really well, and had excellent puck movement. In response, Plymouth blocked many of Windsor’s shots. As a result, the chances were limited. Later in the period, the frustration became evident for the home team. Following a scrap, Emerson Clark was handed several penalties that gave the Whalers a seven minute power-play. Though the Spits fought off most of the opportunities, the opposition added their fourth and final goal of the game. Trocheck found Garrett Meurs for a screened one-timer shot that beat DeKort. Windsor was handed a 4-0 loss in their final game of the season.

Prior to the game, TV Cogeco’s Angelo Aversa talked with Alex Aleardi about his short time in Windsor. Alex thanked the fans and Windsor for their continuous support. Since coming across the border in a trade with Plymouth, he became a quick fan-favourite. His back-checking, skating and scoring ability were consistent every shift. A few months ago, he laughed and said he was hated when he played for Plymouth, but loved now that he was in Windsor. This was his overage season, as his OHL career comes to a close.

The Windsor Spitfires wish Alex Aleardi the best of luck in his future endeavours.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message