Mainly SunnyNow
26 °C
79 °F
20 °C
68 °F
A Mix Of Sun And CloudTue
17 °C
63 °F
15 °C
59 °F

Things To Do In
Windsor Essex

Follow Us On

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

Murphy Scores Twice as Windsor Wins 3-2 Sunday Afternoon

Sunday December 9th, 2012, 9:17pm


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 4144 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

It was a bittersweet return to Windsor for D.J. Smith. While he hoped for the win for Oshawa, Trevor Murphy thought otherwise for Windsor. Murphy had two goals and an assist on the afternoon as he steered the Spitfires to a 3-2 comeback victory against the Oshawa Generals. Windsor has now won four consecutive games.

Windsor came out firing in the first period. The Spitfires controlled the pace and the puck throughout the period. They recorded the game’s first four shots before allowing Oshawa its first – the first shot, and first goal. On the power-play, Chris Carlisle, who assisted on both Oshawa goals, centered a pass to Michael Dal Colle out front. With the goal, the Generals got on the board first. It wouldn’t take too long for them to go up by two. Carlisle found his teammate beside the net, to Jaroslav Pavelka’s right, and he put the puck behind the goalie. The Spits continued to get into penalty trouble in the second half of the period. Luckily, one penalty was nulled by another. Before the end of the period, Windsor would strike. Playing four-on-four hockey, the ice opened up a bit more. While in the offensive zone, Brady Vail passed the puck along the blue line to Trevor Murphy. He let a shot go that seemed to have eyes as it made its way straight to the back of the net. The Spitfires were only a goal away from tying the game at the end of the period.

The 5670 fans in the stands got a scare in the second period when Oshawa almost regained their two-goal lead. A high shot was tipped behind Pavelka. The call on the ice was reversed and ruled as a high-stick. The Spits returned with some pressure in the Oshawa end. Josh Ho-Sang drew a penalty skating through defenders and his team went on the power-play. The Generals took another one – and Windsor took advantage – with 40 seconds remaining from the first minor. Kerby Rychel skated towards the middle, slid a pass to Murphy beside the net. A pass was returned to Rychel who scored his 19th goal of the season. The game was all tied up at two, after two.

Early in the third, the Spitfires got into a heap of trouble. Murphy got called for a tripping penalty – to the distaste of the fans and the Spits bench– followed by a minor for unsportsmanlike. The Generals had their chances but Windsor’s penalty kill unit stayed strong and solid. The teams exchanged chances after back and forth pressure. In the end, it was Murphy who ensured the comeback for the Spits: once more from the blue line. Murphy faked a slap-shot with a slap-pass to Nick Ebert. Ebert sent the pass back to Murphy for a one-timer. His bullet of a shot was unstoppable by Daniel Altshuller. The Spits simply let time tick down in their end. Unfortunately, Vail was hit hard at the end of the period that left him down for a couple minutes afterwards. When he rose, he and his teammates lifted their sticks to the applause of the crowd.

The Windsor Spitfires are back at the WFCU Centre this Thursday, December 13th when they take on a tough Kitchener Rangers team.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message