Light RainNow
9 °C
47 °F
Periods Of RainFri
8 °C
46 °F
14 °C
57 °F
Chance Of ShowersSun
23 °C
73 °F

Things To Do In
Windsor Essex

Follow Us On

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

Spits Fall Under Attack, Lose 6-1 Thursday Night at the WFCU Centre

Friday September 21st, 2012, 8:37am


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 4221 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

Much like the weather this past Thursday Night in Windsor, the Spitfires were left feeling gloomy, losing 6-1 in their home-opener to the Owen Sound Attack.

For much of the first period, fans were entertained with good, old fashioned hockey. Both teams controlled and moved the puck well, earning chances at each end. After a solid 20 minutes of play, the scoreboard remained 0-0. In the second period, the penalties began to be a problem for the Spits. As a result, Owen Sound was the first to get on the board. Gilbert Gabor put the puck behind goalie Jaroslav Pavelka after picking up a rebound. Minutes later, Cameron Brace scored for the Attack, once again off a big rebound.

Owen Sound’s Gemel Smith would add one more goal before the end of the period, extending their lead to 3-0 after 40 minutes.

The Windsor’s woes weren’t over just yet, as they would feel another Attack onslaught. Despite hitting the post early in the period, the Spits couldn’t press for a goal. And Owen Sound would make them pay. Daniel Catenacci reached over a sprawling Pavelka and managed to slide the puck in the net. Just like the second period, the Spitfires’ penalties began to pile up. Consequently, Brace was able to pick up his 2nd goal of the night. After five goals, Pavelka’s night was over. Replacing him was Jordan DeKort, who let in a goal midway through the third. Jaden Lindo picked up a loose puck and easily slipped it behind the young Windsor goaltender.

Frustration built for the Spitfires, and both teams participated in a line brawl. Many penalty minutes were handed out to the two squads afterwards. Although they were down by 6, the Spitfires kept pressing, and were able to put the puck past Attack goalie Jordan Binnington. After Spits rookie Josh Ho-Sang twirled and turned, he got the puck to Michael Clarke standing in front of the net. Clarke stepped to the side and put the puck high over the goalie and into the net for the goal.

The Spitfires will regroup and prepare for their Saturday night road game up in Sault Ste. Marie. Their next home game is Thursday, September 27th against the Kitchener Rangers.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message