7 °C
44 °F
Increasing CloudinessTue
18 °C
64 °F
17 °C
63 °F
17 °C
63 °F

Things To Do In
Windsor Essex

Follow Us On

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

Spitfires Fly High Over Wolves in 5-2 Win Sunday Afternoon at the WFCU Centre

Sunday September 30th, 2012, 9:27pm


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 4215 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

File photo by Kevin Chauvin

Prior to this afternoon’s game, Windsor Spitfires coach Bob Boughner said that his team had to shut down the Sudbury Wolves’ top line. The message was heard clearly. The Wolves were held to only two third period goals, and Brady Vail scored twice – and was named the game’s first star – as the Spits easily soared past the Wolves 5-2.

The Windsor Spitfires began the game ready for the Wolves. For most of the period, the Spits controlled and moved the puck very well from end to end. As a result, Brady Vail scored his first goal of the game near the midway mark of the first period. After Josh Ho-Sang dished off a pass to the right to his teammate, Vail let off an incredible short-side shot, over the shoulder of goalie Joel Vienneau, and in to the top of the net. They went to the locker-room with a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes.

Windsor’s offense did not hold back in the second period, maintaining the same pressure as it did from the first. Two goals were scored early within a span of 45 seconds. Kerby Rychel scored his first goal of the season when Patrick Sanvido’s shot deflected and found its way to his stick. Moments later, Vail got his second of the game to put his team up by three. Chris Marchese fed him the puck, and Vail shot it over the blocker. Even though they were down, the Wolves pressed hard. Because of some minor miscues by Windsor, Sudbury had great chances. One of those chances was a 2-on-0, but Dominik Kubalik missed the net entirely. Goalie Jaroslav Pavelka continued to make important saves to preserve the Spitfires’ lead. When Windsor killed off a penalty, Patrick Sieloff got out of the box and leveled a Sudbury player. A few plays later, Sieloff made another impact on the Wolves. On the power-play, Ebert slid him the puck at the point. His slapshot beat a screened Vienneau and the Spits were now up 4-0.

In the third period, the Spits ran into a little trouble in their own zone. They could not keep puck control, and eventually gave up a couple of quick goals themselves. Dominik Kahun received a backhand pass from Joshua Leivo from the corner, and put the puck in the back of the net. Later, a Spitfires giveaway resulted in a Sudbury goal as Kubalik did not miss his opportunity this time. His wrist shot bested Pavelka and Windsor’s lead was cut to two with over 16 minutes to play. The Wolves pushed hard for a third goal. They had great passing, cycling and deking from in close. More chances would ensue once the goalie was pulled. Unfortunately for them, Ben Johnson collected the puck, skated out of his zone, and shot the puck into the empty net. The Windsor Spitfires controlled the faceoff and the game would end 5-2 in their favour.

The Spitfires’ next home game is this Thursday, October 4th against the Guelph Storm.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message