Extreme Heat Expected Today and Monday in Windsor-Essex
Sunday May 27th, 2012
Posted at 12:15pm
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2463 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Extremely hot and humid weather is expected in Windsor-Essex today and Monday and Medical Officer of Health Dr. G. Allen Heimann wants to remind Windsor-Essex residents to take precautions to avoid heat illness.
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit will once again be using their heat alert system, consisting of three warning levels.
Level One alert is issued when:
- One or more days reaching Humidex 40
Level Two alert is issued when:
- Four or more days reaching Humidex 40
- One or more days reaching Humidex 45
- Four or more nights above Humidex 28
Level Three alert is issued when:
- During a severe or prolonged emergency, such as power outages or water shortages.
Whenever an alert is issued, windsoriteDOTca will let you know!
Follow these steps to stay cool:
- Drink plenty of water
- Wear a hat and lightweight loose-fitting clothing
- Limit outdoor activities to the coolest part of the day
- Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles
- Go to an air conditioned place
- Take a cool bath or shower
- Check on your neighbours and family
- If you feel ill, faint, have difficulty breathing, or feel disorientated visit your doctor or nearest hospital right away
- In an emergency call 911