Halloween Safety Tips
Sunday October 30th, 2011
Posted at 10:02am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2550 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
The Essex County OPP want you to ensure that your child is aware of all the safety rules this Halloween. Please take a few minutes to review the following safety rules with your child:
- Walk, slither, and sneak on sidewalks, not in the street!
- Look both ways before crossing the street!
- Cross the street only at corners!
- Don’t hide or cross the street between parked cars!
- Wear light coloured reflective-type clothing so you are visible! Or, affix reflective tape to the costume.
- Plan your route and share it with your family! Decide on a curfew!
- If possible go with an adult! Recommended for children under 9 years old or incapable of understanding road safety.
- Carry a flashlight to light your way!
- Visit homes that have the porch light on!
- Accept your treats at the door and never go into a stranger’s house.
- Use face paint rather than masks or things that will cover your eyes.
- Be cautious of animals and strangers.
- Have a grown-up inspect your treats before eating. Don’t eat any candy while out trick-or-treating and especially if the package is already opened. To protect from choking or allergies.
- If operating a motor vehicle during this time frame, please be extra cautious, while being cognizant of the little goblins and ghosts walking around the sub-divisions.