Light RainNow
4 °C
39 °F
Periods Of Rain Or DrizzleSun
7 °C
45 °F
3 °C
37 °F
Chance Of Rain Showers Or FlurriesTue
3 °C
37 °F

Windsor Essex Christmas Events Guide

Local Events

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

Adie Knox Pool To Close After Deal Reached With The University

Tuesday June 8th, 2021, 1:12pm


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 908 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

File photo

The City of Windsor and The University of Windsor have reached an agreement to see shared community use of the new Lancer Centre pool when it opens in 2022. Under the agreement, the Adie Knox Herman Recreation Complex pool would be closed.

The tentative agreement, which requires City of Windsor Council approval, would accommodate 93% of existing bookings from Adie Knox, with the remaining 7% relocated to the Windsor International Aquatic and Training Centre, complimentary parking for City residents using the pool and would welcome residents without any increase in fees and allow for memberships to City pools to be used at the University pool going forward.

The City of Windsor would provide an up-front capital contribution and annual operating subsidy to the university, which would cost less than operating a separate swimming pool at Adie Knox.

The city is planning on renovating and expanding Adie Knox Herman Recreation Complex to invest in the needs of current and future west-end residents.

New services and community spaces would be constructed, subject to public input, including gymnasium, splash pad, tennis or pickleball courts, basketball courts and a walking track.

The City of Windsor is launching a public consultation survey to determine the mix of services that should be offered, expanding the footprint and renewing Adie Knox for years to come. The public consultation will be open until June 15th.

The federal government has launched a new Green, and Inclusive Community Building Fund specifically focused on supporting under-serviced communities. The City of Windsor is preparing an application that would seek the maximum contribution of $13.5 million from this grant to help funded the estimated $42 million to upgrade the Adie Knox Herman Recreation Complex.

Lancer Centre pool under construction.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message