Hospital Asks For Public’s Patience While Rescheduling Postponed Procedures

Tuesday June 16th, 2020

Posted at 9:51am

0
0
0

Windsor Regional Hospital is asking for the public’s patience while they reschedule hundreds of surgical procedures that were postponed due to restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The hospital announced plans on May 28th to gradually begin rescheduling elective and non-urgent surgical and clinical procedures, programs and clinics, after the Ontario government lifted its previous directive restricting services as the COVID-19 pandemic was taking hold.

Officials say the easing of the provincial restrictions called for a “gradual and incremental implementation of carefully thought-out resumption of scheduled cases.”

The hospital’s bed capacity has since increased to above the 85% occupancy level, officials say.

In its latest instructions this week, the government has mandated that hospitals reserve at least 10% of its beds for any potential surge in COVID-19 cases, according to Windsor Regional Hospital officials. “This government directive further underlines the need at WRH and our partner hospitals to closely monitor our surgery caseload so that we do not exceed volumes and resources,” hospital officials said in a statement.

Officials say surgeons’ offices have been dealing with a significant increase in calls from patients asking when their procedures will be booked.

“While we understand patients are anxious to have their postponed procedures rescheduled, WRH is reminding patients that they will be notified directly of opportunities to reschedule surgeries and other appointments by their surgeon’s office,” officials said in a statement. “Please do not contact the hospital, or surgeons’ offices, about a postponed appointment. Surgeons continue to look at their cases and prioritizing who can be scheduled first.”

“As we have stated previously, this will be a gradual and incremental restoration of more elective surgeries which will take many weeks, especially when you consider the volume of procedures that needed to be rescheduled and the need for pre-operative care that has been on hold,” said WRH Chief of Staff Dr. Wassim Saad. “Please be patient while we take the steps necessary to continue a safe, slow and incremental approach to gradually addressing the needs of all of our patients and their loved ones.”

Do You Like This Article?