John Muir Branch Recognized For Excellence In Conservation

Saturday February 22nd, 2020

Posted at 8:58am

0
0
0

Hello time traveller!!

This article is 141 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

The new John Muir Branch of the Windsor Public Library has been awarded the Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Award for Excellence in Conservation.

The award recognises outstanding contributions to cultural heritage, sustainability, biodiversity and natural heritage conservation. John Muir Branch celebrates the adaptive re-use of a 1921 fire hall and adjacent fire hall stable dating back to the mid-19th century into a $5.5 million, 7400 square foot public library.

The buildings features reclaimed materials and historic construction techniques as well as contemporary library technology. Features include a glass-capped observation tower, a suspended bridge made from reclaimed wood found on site and a flexible performance space available for use by local groups and organizations.

Ground-breaking took place in January 2018 and the library opened to the public in September 2019.

Initial funding of $2.2 million was increased by Windsor City Council to $5.5 million in 2017 as a stated commitment to local heritage properties.

Do You Like This Article?