Health Unit Nurses On Strike
Friday March 8th, 2019
Posted at 7:59am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 80 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Last updated: Friday March 8th, 3:22pm
More than 80 Nurse Practitioners, Public Health Nurses and Registered Practical Nurses at the Health Unit have hit the picket lines.
“Our members provide such value to the community – a large population with a high number of vulnerable people, recent refugees, newborns and seniors. They work to keep the community healthy, and monitor and control outbreaks of sexually transmitted infections and infectious diseases, such as measles and mumps,” said ONA President Vicki McKenna, RN.
The nurses have worked without a contract since March 31st, 2018.
The Health Unit says that the Windsor, Leamington, and Essex offices will remain open Monday to Friday, but ervice delays are expected during the strike.
The following services are cancelled:
- Healthy Schools Program (school nurses)
- School Immunization Clinics for Grade 7 Students
- School Suspension Program (For Incomplete Immunizations)
- Healthy Families Home Visiting Program for New Moms;
- Breastfeeding Clinics;
- Sexual Health and Family Planning Clinics;
- Nurse Practitioner Clinics (Pre-natal and Sexual Health);