Police Offer These Back To School Safety Reminders
Summer vacation is just about over, and thousands of young students return to the classroom this Tuesday, and many youngsters will be attending school for the very first time.
Windsor Police are reminding everyone of the following safety rules.
- Walk on sidewalks where available
- Cross at intersections – Stop, look and listen for traffic
- Look in all directions before crossing
- Walk, don’t run
- Wear a helmet when riding a bicycle
- Walk your bicycle when crossing at an intersection
- Be alert and patient, especially in school zones where children will be boarding and departing school buses and crossing roadways.
- Reduce speed in school zones
- Be prepared to stop at all times – Children do not always notice vehicular traffic
- Be mindful of school buses and direction from crossing guards
- Be attentive and free of any distractions
- When approaching a school bus that has its overhead red signal-lights flashing, a driver shall stop at least 20 meters before reaching the bus and not proceed until the bus deactivates the red signal-lights
- Be mindful of school crossing guards and obey their direction until all persons, including the school crossing guard, have cleared the roadway
Windsor Police Service say that they will be present in and around school zones to encourage and enforce rules of the road to protect pedestrian and driver safety.