Police Warn Of Romance Scam
Thursday August 18th, 2016
Posted at 5:29pm
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 917 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Windsor Police are sending out a reminder of the dating and romance scam.
They say that this scam involves a fraudster who sets up false profiles on dating websites to meet lonely people online. The scammers will invest time in developing false online relationships with the victim and slowly gain their trust. Once the relationship gets established the person will try to convince you that they need money to get out of trouble, cover travel costs, assistance for sick family member and various expenses.
The scammers will sometimes develop the relationship for months before asking for assistance with financial issues.
- They claim to have fallen in love with you in short period of time even though they have never met you personally
- They want you to leave dating sight and communicate privately
- Usually located or working and vacationing overseas
- After a romance stage they begin making pitches for financial assistance
- Ask you to cash cheques for them and wire most of the money to them
- They promise to visit but ask for assistance with travel costs
- They encounter emergency situations or have sick relatives
- They ask for large amounts of money to be sent to them overseas