1 °C
33 °F
Mainly SunnyThu
9 °C
48 °F
5 °C
41 °F
Chance Of ShowersSat
10 °C
50 °F

Windsor Essex Christmas Events Guide

Local Events

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

WITH PHOTOS: Windsor’s Rally Cut Short

Friday December 11th, 2015, 7:34am


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2911 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

Photos by Tim Cornett/

Coming back from a two-goal deficit in the third is tough. The Spitfires made it look easy, scoring three goals in the final period. The lead was taken away with just a minute left, and then gone for good in overtime. Damian Bourne finished off the Spitfires as the Mississauga Steelheads skated away with a 4-3 overtime win over Windsor.

It didn’t take long for the game to get going. Mississauga put in the opening goal 19 seconds in to grab a very early 1-0 lead. When the puck was sent around the boards, it bounced out to the front of the net. Goalie Garret Hughson was cautious, but Nathan Bastian was on the doorstep to swat it in. Windsor now needed to play catch up. The Spitfires were playing well, even coming up with some shorthanded opportunities. They picked up their physical play as well. However, nearly 20 minutes of hockey wasn’t enough to tie the game. The first period wound down as Mississauga lead 1-0.

The Spits fell into a bit of penalty trouble when they went down two players near the midway point. It was a short 5-on-3. With one penalty down, the Steelheads would score again. Owen Tippett let go a wrist-shot from the left hashmarks that beat Hughson cleanly. Windsor just couldn’t mount any chances anymore. The passes and the shots weren’t getting through. The Spits couldn’t set up plays to get back in the game. They left for the intermission down 2-0.

Down two goals, the Spitfires needed to press harder. With a period to go, Windsor put pucks to the net in hopes of creating chances. Their first goal came over four minutes in, as Logan Brown cut the lead in half. From behind the net, newly acquired Spitfire Brendan Lemieux sent a pass in the slot that was too far ahead for Bradley Latour. Instead, he shuffled a soft pass to Brown beside the net, and he redirected it in. nearly five minutes later, Lemieux would get his first goal as a Spitfire. He finished off a broken 2-on-1 as the puck lay in the crease area. A couple of sticks swung and the puck eventually made its way across the line. Aaron Luchuk was up next as he gave his team its first lead of the night. His pass to Jalen Chatfield was instantly returned by skate, after the goalie had been drawn to the left. Luchuk stuffed the puck past Jack Finn to give the Spits a huge 3-2 lead with a few minutes remaining. Unfortunately, Windsor’s luck ran out with a minute to go. A crowd in front of the net battled for the loose puck. It made its way up, and then batted down and in to even the game at three. A tie game meant that the teams would get set for overtime.

Chances were going Windsor’s way as the Spits would burst into the Steelheads’ zone. After exchanging opportunities, Mississauga broke into Windsor’s end. Mikhail Sergachev played the puck in the corner. He sent the puck out, but a weird bounce sent it out front. Damian Bourne was alone in front and he made no mistake of sending it home. Windsor fell just short of a win as the Mississauga Steelheads steal a 4-3 victory away.

The Spits return to the WFCU Centre Sunday, December 13th to face the Kitchener Rangers at 2:05pm in their annual Teddy Bear Toss.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message