St. John Grade School Could Close
Thursday November 19th, 2015
Posted at 4:52pm
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 970 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
St. John Catholic Elementary School in West Windsor could be closing in June 2016.
The Catholic School Board administration is recommending that a modified review process be undertaken for the west end with the following options being presented to the community for consultation:
- That effective September 2016, St. James shall become a JK to 6 school with consolidation of the JK to 6 student population within the current St. James and St. John boundaries being accommodated at the St. James site.
- The Board will apply to the Ministry of Education through the School Consolidation Capital (SCC) Program, for funding for the construction of an addition to support the consolidation; or if failing to obtain funding, the Board dedicate capital reserves to the installation of portables or a port-a-pack at the St. James site.
- That effective September 2016, a middle school be established at the Assumption College Catholic Secondary School site to accommodate the grades 7 and 8 student population within the current St. John and St. James boundaries.
- The Board will apply to the Ministry of Education through the School Consolidation Capital (SCC) Program, for capital for a retrofit at Assumption Secondary and/or the Catholic Education Centre to accommodate a middle school, with the construction of a new gymnasium; or if failing to obtain funding, the Board dedicate capital reserves to retrofit Assumption Secondary and/or the Catholic Education Centre.
- That effective June 2016, St. John Catholic Elementary School be closed and deemed surplus to the Board’s future needs.
Currently Assumption has 691 students, but has room for 741. St. John has 207 with space for 343 and St. James has 304 students, but has space for 372.
Board administration says that it has been a challenge to continue to operate two elementary schools and a secondary school in the West Windsor area. The schools face ongoing and projected future renewal needs, and all are underutilized and therefore not receiving full Ministry operations and renewal grant funding.
Should the Board approve Administration’s recommendation, all JK to 6 students within the current St. John boundary will be eligible for busing to the JK to 6 school at St. James. All grades 7 and 8 students within the current St. John and St. James boundaries who reside more than 1.6 km from the middle school at Assumption will be eligible for busing to the middle school.
These recommendations go before the school board on Tuesday, November 24th. Should the Board elect to proceed with a modified study, it is anticipated that a final accommodation decision will be made by the Board of Trustees in March 2016.