15 °C
59 °F
17 °C
63 °F
8 °C
46 °F
A Mix Of Sun And CloudThu
10 °C
50 °F

Things To Do In
Windsor Essex

Follow Us On

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

WITH PHOTOS: Spitfires On A Roll With 4-1 Win

Friday October 9th, 2015, 6:15am


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 3070 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

All photos by: Tim Cornett/​​​​​​

The Windsor Spitfires are off to their best start in years this season. Despite losing their opener, they have won four straight after the overtime loss. The success continued Thursday night as they welcomed the Peterborough Petes to the WFCU Centre. The Spits gave up the first goal, but were quick to respond. They scored four consecutive goals to pull them past the Petes 4-1.

Fairly early into the game, the two teams exchanged chances, with the Petes coming close to grabbing a quick lead. The Spitfires began to match the pressure at the other end. However, the visitors struck first and grabbed a 1-0 lead a little past the midway point of the first period. The Petes rushed down the ice with the puck. Greg Betzold managed to stuff the puck past goaltender Michael Giugovaz, who would surely like to have that one back. The Spits didn’t fret, though; they retaliated just a minute later. In similar fashion to Peterborough’s goal, Gabriel Vilardi scooped up the puck and snuck it between Matthew Mancina’s pad and the post. The Spits came back for more on the next shifts. Their passing created chances down low, but they couldn’t grab the lead. Meanwhile, Giugovaz stunned a pair of Petes forwards as they broke in on a 2-on-1. The goalie stretched his glove to make the remarkable save off of what looked like a sure goal. The game was tied at one after the opening period.

In an equally-matched start to the second period, Windsor fired away whatever they could towards Peterborough’s net. Some shots came close to being put away while others were blocked and cleared away. The Petes did the same, shooting what they could towards Giugovaz but only so much could be done. It took nearly a whole period before the Spits grabbed the upper hand for good. First, Windsor had a goal waved off as Cristiano DiGiacinto’s point was put in after the whistle. A disgruntled DiGiacinto shook his head from the bench. The Spits looked a little dejected, until DiGiacinto came back on for his next shift. This time, he made sure it counted. Hayden McCool, without a stick, neatly kicked the puck up to the flying forward. DiGiacinto made a nifty move against the defender, bringing the puck into the slot. He lifted a high wrist-shot that beat Mancina glove side with 33 seconds to go. The Spits were on top 2-1 after two.

Peterborough was inching closer early in the third. The Petes were getting numerous opportunities on windsor penalties, but couldn’t capitalize. As a result, the Spits took advantage and set up an amzing goal. From his knees, Cole Carter slapped a pass to Christian Fischer. In turn, he dodged a defender and slid the puck across with a backhand. Aaron Luchuk snuck in for the one-timer from in close, and down on one knee. Even with a two-goal lead in their hands, the Spitfires continued their onslaught with a few flurries. Peterborough tried its chances by pulling the goalie, but the play paid dividends for Windsor. Fischer, from his own zone, lifted the puck with a backhand as the arena watched it bounce and then slide into the empty net. the goal gave the Spits a 4-1 lead with 40 seconds to go. Windsor killed off the last seconds of the game and earned their fourth win in a row.

The Spitfires are back at the WFCU Centre next Thursday to take on the Ottawa 67’s at 7:05pm.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message