Police: Stay Focused
Thursday April 30th, 2015
Posted at 10:27pm
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 1178 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Windsor police want drivers to stay focused.
Police say that there is a growing trend among motorists to multi-task while driving, and that drivers who are distracted are not fully concentrating on the road and are therefore creating a dangerous driving situation.
Driving while distracted is a leading cause of motor vehicle collisions.
Police point out that drivers who are engaged in the following distractions are more likely to be in a crash or near crash event compared with non-distracted drivers:
- Text messaging on a cell phone – 23 times more likely
- Talking on a cell phone – 4 to 5 times more likely
- Reading – 3 times more likely
- Applying makeup – 3 times more likely
- Reaching for a dropped object – 9 times more likely
- Dialing on a hand held device – 3 times more likely
Police say that increasingly personal injury accident and fatality accident investigation have determined that distracted driving was a contributing factor. The “Operation Stay Focused” initiative being implemented to bring attention to these issues and reduce collisions related to driving distracted.