NEWS >
ClearNow
-1 °C
30 °F
Increasing CloudinessFri
8 °C
46 °F
CloudySat
11 °C
52 °F
SunnySun
17 °C
63 °F

Things To Do In
Windsor Essex

Follow Us On
TikTok

Traffic Cameras

Daily NEWS-LETTER

Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

Amherstburg Mourns Tragic Death Of Teen Football Player

Monday November 10th, 2014, 11:49am

0
0

Hello time traveller!!
This article is 3399 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

Collage from Facebook

Last updated: Sunday November 16th, 2:31am

Amherstburg is coming together as a community to remember a General Amherst student whose life was cut short in a tragic accident over the weekend.

Michael Matte, a senior football player for the General Amherst Bulldogs, was found dead at home on Saturday.

Amherstburg police say Matte died from carbon monoxide poisoning, based on a preliminary investigation.

Foul play is not suspected.

Police say there was no power in the residence and a small gas generator was being utilized to run electrical equipment in the garage.

Friends tell windsoriteDOTca Matte went to sleep that night and was found unresponsive the next day.

Now teammates and friends are organizing a candlelight vigil to share their love for and remember the 17-year-old.

Anyone interested in attending the vigil is asked to bring a candle and meet in front of General Amherst at 6pm this evening, Monday November 10th.

Friends say Matte’s team was undefeated in standings and are set to play their championship game this Thursday against Lajeunesse.

For more information on the vigil, visit the event page on Facebook.

Amherstburg Police are reminding the public of the dangers of carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas, caused from the combustion of gas powered equipment or appliances.

When inhaled it is extremely dangerous and high levels of CO can be fatal causing death within minutes, police say.

Police say the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning include shortness of breath, mild nausea, headaches, dizziness, nausea, light-headedness, confusion, blurred vision and loss of consciousness.

Friends of Matte took to twitter to remember him:

windsoriteDOTca
Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message