PHOTOS: Former Students Gather To Say Farewell To J.E. Benson Public School
Saturday May 3rd, 2014
Posted at 1:50pm
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 1539 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Hundreds of students and staff both past and present gathered at J.E. Benson Public School, Saturday, to celebrate a century of education as the school prepares to close its doors for good at the end of this school year.
When Benson opened in 1915 for 95 students, the school was called Wyandotte Street School. Since then the building has undergone a number of renovations and alterations. At one time it even included high school classes and had more than 1,200 students.
The school became J.E. Benson PS in 1936; named after a long time public school inspector.
Most current Benson students will be moving to the new West Gate Public School this fall joining the Dr. H.D. Taylor Public School community to begin a new chapter in Windsor’s west side public education history.