Spits Can’t Solve Soo Goalie

Friday January 17th, 2014

Posted at 8:11am

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hello time traveller!!

This article is 1644 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

There’s a reason Sault Ste. Marie is ahead of Windsor in the standings. Its name: Matt Murray. The Hounds goalie stopped all 38 of Windsor’s shots. As a result, the Spitfires broke down. They suffered a devastating 6-0 loss to the Greyhounds Thursday night, at the WFCU Centre. 

Windsor has now lost six consecutive games.

The Spitfires were on a mission after losing five straight heading into Thursday’s Western Conference battle. Fate was not on their side, unfortunately. The team gave up the all-important first goal on a cycling wrap-around by Andrew Fritsch. Two minutes later, the Hounds went up by two. Patrick Watling stood on the doorstep and tipped the puck behind a downed Alex Fotinos. The Spits tried to recover, but again, the Soo scored another two minutes later. Dylan Corson skated and turned in the slot, and found a way to beat Fotinos. The opening twenty minutes were gone, and the visiting Greyhounds were up by 3.

As the second period was underway, Windsor opted to switch their goalies, bringing in Dalen Kuchmey. The goaltender played well and made good saves. Windsor even killed off a 5-on-3 in the second, thanks to key blocks and, more so, key stops from Kuchmey. Shortly after, though, the Greyhounds struck again. Deep in the Windsor zone, they moved the puck quickly and put in on net. After a bounce, it was batted out of the air by Blake Speers and in. Corson would later score his second of the night when Sergey Tolchinsky spun and sent him a cross-ice, backhand pass. The shot beat Kuchmey as the Soo went up 5-0. Before the end of the period, the Hounds added one more when Bryan Moore’s one-timer went in and back out of the net. With one period to play, the Spits were in a 6-0 hole.

Urgency began to set in for the Spitfires. In the final period, they partially cleaned up their passing and play. They were aggressive in both zones and on the forecheck. The physical presence was there. But the goals weren’t. Murray continued his solid play and by the end of the game, shutout the Spitfires 6-0.

Windsor will look to bounce back against the Sudbury Wolves this Sunday, January 19th at 2:05pm at the WFCU Centre.

Do You Like This Article?