Kuchmey Steals Show In Windsor

Friday January 31st, 2014

Posted at 8:07am

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hello time traveller!!

This article is 1633 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

The Windsor Spitfires are making a point by winning the tough ones. For weeks, they’ve been shooting down some of the league’s top teams. Thursday night, they continued their hot-streak by knocking off the Eastern Conference’s third place squad. With help from his team, Dalen Kuchmey shutout the Kingston Frontenacs 4-0, extending Windsor’s win streak to five.

Before a crowd of 5215, Kuchmey made 30 saves. Ryan Foss had a three-point night, scoring a goal and adding two assists.

The game was fast-paced from the get-go. Few chances connected because of each team’s strong defensive play. Brady Vail found a way to break through, though. He scored the first period’s lone goal on a 2-on-1 after a great feed from Ben Johnson. The physicality and the intensity picked before the period’s end, but it was Windsor up by one after twenty minutes.

As the second period got underway, the speed of the game transferred from the first. With such haste, plays were created: specifically, a penalty shot for superstar Josh Ho-Sang. Although he didn’t beat Matt Mahalak on the breakaway, he got another chance later – and he made the most of it. From the boards, he skated into the slot and fired a swift wrist-shot past the goalie. Near the end of the period, Nikita Yazkov centered a pass to Ryan Moore. His initial deflection was saved, but, while falling, he quickly batted in his own rebound. Windsor came close after hitting the post a couple of times. However, the period finished with the Spitfires up 3-0.

Both goaltenders were playing strong hockey. Dalen Kuchmey continued to make tremendous saves; he had a few close calls but stood tall. At the other end, despite allowing three goals, Mahalak kept his team in the stopping the Spitfires. That was until Ryan Foss tipped the puck between the goalie’s legs and in. Kuchmey defended his shutout all the way to the final buzzer, working hard to keep the puck out. He deservingly earned the game’s first star as the Spitfires win over the Frontenacs 4-0.

Windsor is right back in action when they play host to the Guelph Storm this Saturday at 7:05pm at the WFCU Centre.

Do You Like This Article?