Fire Prevention Week 2013: Get Cooking With Fire Safety
Monday October 7th, 2013
Posted at 4:32pm
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 1744 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Fire Prevention Week kicked off today with the theme “Prevent Kitchen Fires and Get Cooking with Fire Safety”
“The best way to prevent kitchen fires is to never leave cooking unattended,” says Fire Chief Bruce Montone. “Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires and injuries in the province.”
Important steps to prevent kitchen fires include:
- Pay attention when cooking – especially if you are using oil or high temperatures. If you must leave for any reason, turn off the stove.
- Wear tight-fitting or rolled up sleeves when using the stove. Loose, dangling clothing can easily catch fire.
- Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove.
- Never attempt to move a burning pot.
- Keep a close eye on anyone in your household who is drinking and attempts to cook.
“Often when we’re called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the residents tell us that they only left the kitchen for a few minutes,” says Chief Montone. “Sadly, that’s all it takes for a dangerous fire to start. Help keep our community safe by taking responsibility to prevent fires from starting in the first place.”
Windsor Fire and Rescue will be holding a number of events throughout the week to raise public awareness about Fire Prevention Week and the importance of preventing kitchen fires.
Highlights of the week’s events include:
- Fire truck appearances and educational material to be distributed at a selection of local stores on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Fire truck appearances and public safety talks at recreation facilities and schools throughout the week.
- Educational booths, truck rides and activities for kids and the whole family at Devonshire Mall on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Truck rides and a fire safety booth at Tecumseh Mall on Friday and Saturday.