Level 2 Heat Alert Issued For Windsor-Essex
Tuesday September 10th, 2013
Posted at 11:13am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 1776 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
The Windsor-Essex Health Unit has issued a Level 2 Heat Alert for today, Tuesday, September 10th.
The Health Unit says the Humidex value is predicted to be 45 or higher today.
The Windsor-Essex County Heat Alert Response Committee and the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit urge residents to follow these steps to “Stay Cool” and enjoy a healthy summer:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Go to an air conditioned place. Those looking for a place to go can call 211 or visit StayCoolWindsor-Essex.com for the latest locations.
- Wear a hat and lightweight, loose-fitting clothing.
- Take a cool bath or shower.
- Limit outdoor activities to the coolest part of the day.
- Check on your neighbours and family.
- Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
- Watch for symptoms of heat-related illness including dizziness, fainting, nausea, vomiting, rapid breathing and heartbeat, extreme thirst, and decreased urination. If you experience any of these symptoms during extreme heat, visit your doctor or nearest hospital right away.
- Call 911 immediately if someone you are caring for has a high body temperature and is either unconscious, confused, or has stopped sweating.
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is also advising residents and visitors to keep a close eye on family, friends, and neighbours who are at higher risk of heat health illnesses. Those particularly vulnerable include, older adults, infants, pregnant women, young children, people with chronic illnesses, the homeless population, and those who work or exercise in the heat.
For more information or the latest Heat Alert information call 211 or visitStayCoolWindsor-Essex.com.