New Tunnel Plaza Transforms Old Goyeau Avenue
Thursday May 2nd, 2013
Posted at 10:00am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 1906 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Nearly three months since Goyeau Avenue closed between Wyandotte and Park, Windsor’s new tunnel plaza is really starting to take shape.
Construction crews have built a new parking lot where the old road stood, have installed decorative lamp posts, are building a new maintenance building and are preparing to build other elements of the plaza.
The new plaza will include a queueing area when traffic wait volumes increase and an entirely landscaped area.
The project includes:
- new car access routes
- new plaza buildings for Canada Border Services Agency and a tunnel maintenance building
- additional car inspection lanes and Nexus lanes
- moving a City of Windsor Permit Parking lot to the location of the old Beer Store
Outside of the plaza work includes:
- Closure of Goyeau Street between Park Street and Wyandotte Street (to become part of the extended plaza area)
- Reconfigure City Hall Square to two-way traffic
- Reconfigure Park Street to two-way traffic between Goyeau Street and City Hall Square
- Reconfigure ‘Lot 10’ Permit Parking (southeast corner of Park Street and Goyeau Street)
- Gateway landscaping at the main access at Goyeau Street / Wyandotte Street