Light RainNow
11 °C
52 °F
15 °C
59 °F
A Mix Of Sun And CloudSat
12 °C
54 °F
A Mix Of Sun And CloudSun
14 °C
57 °F

Things To Do In
Windsor Essex

Follow Us On

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

Spits Suffer Stinging Shootout Loss to Sarnia Monday Afternoon

Monday October 8th, 2012, 8:28pm


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 4210 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

File photo by: Kevin Chauvin

Following two devastating losses, the Windsor Spitfires were hoping to turn things around. However, the afternoon didn’t go as planned for the youthful Spitfires. The team lost 3-2 in a shootout to the Sarnia Sting at the WFCU Centre – their third straight loss.

For the two teams, the first period was equally matched. They completed their passes, had good fore-check and displayed strong goaltending. At the end of the period, the Spits held the shot advantage, 10-7, but the game thus far remained scoreless.

Early in the second, the Spits would strike first. Emerson Clark skated down the left boards and towards the net. His backhand hit the post, but Derek Schoenmakers followed and put the puck in the back of the net for his second goal of the season. Windsor was up 1-0, but Sarnia was quick to retaliate. 24 seconds after the Spitfires scored, the Sting responded. Former Spitfire Craig Duininck let a high wrist-shot go from the point that was tipped in front by Nickolas Latta. Late in the period, Reid Boucher added another goal for Sarnia. Charles Sarault’s shot was countered by a quick right pad save by Jaroslav Pavelka. Unfortunately, Boucher was in front and ready, and had an even quicker shot off the rebound. The shots were even – 21 apiece – but the scoreboard read 2-1 Sarnia after 40 minutes.

It took the Spitfires just 19 seconds into the third period to get the tying goal – the period’s only goal. With Brady Vail controlling the puck behind the net, Ben Johnson headed towards the crease. Vail sent a backhand pass out front, and after a couple swats, Johnson managed to get the puck behind J.P. Anderson. Back and forth chances, as well as important saves, were exchanged between both teams. The clock ticked down to zero, and the game was headed to overtime with a 2-2 standstill.

Overtime was rather even as the teams each had four shots. Sarnia added a last second shot but Pavelka came up with a key save to send the game to a shootout. In the sixth round (of the shootout), it was Reid Boucher once again that managed to get the puck past Pavelka and in. Sarnia celebrated the victory, while Windsor was hurt by another loss.

The Windsor Spitfires are back in action this Thursday, October 11th at 7:05pm against the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhouds.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message