Ford City Arts And Heritage Fest Takes Place Sunday
Friday September 28th, 2012
Posted at 12:00pm
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2121 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
This Sunday, the Historic Ford City Neighbourhood invites you to explore several businesses and historic buildings that will be opening their doors to offer a unique and exciting way to interact with Ford City. The event will also feature an artisan market, live music, local food and arts activities in the Ford City Community Garden.
Activities take place between 11am and 3pm and will include:
- Tours of three historic churches; St. John the Divine Orthodox Church, Descent of the Holy Ghost Romanian Orthodox Church Our Lady of the Rosary Roman Catholic Church. All will be open with free guided tours. This will be the first time Our Lady of the Rosary church has been open to the public in over five years.
- Atelier Virginianne, artist workshop and studio, will be holding a “Meet the Artist” event. You will encounter some of the accomplished artists that created the over 20 murals that grace the sides of buildings along Drouillard Road in Ford City.
- Voltair Heating and Cooling, will be displaying a collection of historic photographs of Ford City as well as antique camera equipment.
- Spirit of Excellence(SOE), Creativity Training Centre, will be opening their studios to teach participants expressive flag dancing. Not a dancer? Try your hand at drumming in one of their drum clinics or have your make up, nails or a temporary tattoo done by one of their Make Up Artistry graduates! SOE will have their smoothie bar open during the event. There’s something for everyone at SOE.
- Standard Printing Inc, print company, will be open to show you what happens inside a print company. Standard has been in business for more than 40 years.
- Border City Boxing Club will be open to the public, come see where Justin Trudeau recently boxed and where World Champs are made!
- The KordaZone Theatre will open its doors to the public 1-5pm. Experience the ambiance of this unique 110-seat theatre, participate in a theatrical Mask-Making workshop/demonstration, and enjoy a live table-read of an upcoming show by some of Korda’s troupe of actors. 2520 Seminole Street
- Art in the Ford City Community Garden: Join us for family friendly arts activities in the garden and leave your mark on Ford City! The garden will also feature a reading of her new book “Grasshopper on My Shoulder” by local children’s author JoAnn Loeffen-Thompson. Also, local street artist and creator of the Windsor Smile Campaign, Jeff Bassett will be working on a unique piece on a wall in the garden and encouraging the public to contribute.
- Artisan Market: Shop an eclectic mix of local artist’s creations along the 1000 block of Drouillard.
- Live Street Music by Local Talent including Livi, Chris Ould, Ford City Gospel Music Jam and more
- Self Guided Historic Mural Tours with free full colour booklet
- The Sunflower Organic Cafe will be cooking up some delicious organic BBQ.