Old Downtown Windsor Beer Store Demolished to Make Way for New Tunnel Plaza
Wednesday July 25th, 2012
Posted at 10:15am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2252 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Windsor’s old Downtown Beer Store on Wyandotte Street East is no more.
After moving to a new home at Goyeau and Elliott, the old location was demolished Monday and Tuesday to make way for improvements to the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel plaza.
City of Windsor Administrators approved a finalized design for the new plaza in March which will include a queueing area for heavy traffic.
Goyeau Street will be permanently closed between Park and Wyandotte.
The project includes:
- new car access routes
- new plaza buildings for Canada Border Services Agency and a tunnel maintenance building
- additional car inspection lanes and Nexus lanes
- moving a City of Windsor Permit Parking lot to the location of the old Beer Store
Outside of the plaza work includes:
- Closure of Goyeau Street between Park Street and Wyandotte Street (to become part of the extended plaza area)
- Reconfigure City Hall Square to two-way traffic
- Reconfigure Park Street to two-way traffic between Goyeau Street and City Hall Square
- Reconfigure ‘Lot 10’ Permit Parking (southeast corner of Park Street and Goyeau Street)
- Gateway landscaping at the main access at Goyeau Street / Wyandotte Street
Additional demolition will take place near the plaza in the coming months.