Level One Heat Alert Issued for Windsor – Essex
Thursday June 28th, 2012
Posted at 9:47am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2393 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Dr. G. Allen Heimann, Medical Officer of Health, has issued a level 1 heat alert for Windsor-Essex County for Thursday June 28th, with a humidex value of 40 or higher in the forecast.
As extremely hot weather and humidity can be very dangerous, the Windsor-Essex County Heat Alert Response Committee and the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit urge residents to follow the following steps to “Stay Cool” and enjoy a healthy summer.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Go to an air conditioned place. Those looking for a place to go can call 211 or visit StayCoolWindsor-Essex.com for the latest locations.
- Wear a hat and lightweight loose-fitting clothing.
- Take a cool bath or shower.
- Limit outdoor activities to the coolest part of the day.
- Check on your neighbours and family.
- Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
- If you feel ill, faint, have difficulty breathing, or feel disoriented, visit your doctor or nearest hospital right away. In an emergency, call 911.
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is also asking residents to keep a close eye on family, friends, and neighbours that are at higher risk of heat health illnesses.
Those particularly vulnerable include, older adults, infants, young children, people with chronic illnesses, the homeless population, and those who work or exercise in the heat.