Windsor Tunnel Plaza Improvements to Start Soon
Monday March 19th, 2012
Posted at 1:15pm
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2317 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
A project that has been in the works since shortly after 9/11 — a new Windsor-Detroit Tunnel Plaza — is one step closer to being constructed.
City of Windsor Administrators have approved a finalized design for the new plaza which will include a queueing area when traffic wait volumes increase and an entirely landscaped area. Work is expected to begin soon.
Goyeau Street will be permanently closed between Park and Wyandotte.
The project primarily includes:
- new car access routes
- new plaza buildings for Canada Border Services Agency and a tunnel maintenance building
- additional car inspection lanes and Nexus lanes
- moving a City of Windsor Permit Parking lot to the location of the old Beer Store
Outside of the plaza work includes:
- Closure of Goyeau Street between Park Street and Wyandotte Street (to become part of the extended plaza area)
- Reconfigure City Hall Square to two-way traffic
- Reconfigure Park Street to two-way traffic between Goyeau Street and City Hall Square
- Reconfigure ‘Lot 10’ Permit Parking (southeast corner of Park Street and Goyeau Street)
- Gateway landscaping at the main access at Goyeau Street / Wyandotte Street