13 °C
56 °F
9 °C
48 °F
8 °C
46 °F
Chance Of ShowersMon
14 °C
57 °F

Local Events

Traffic Cameras

Photo Of The Day

Lowest Gas Prices

Saginaw Defuses Windsor’s Spirit in 7-1 Win Sunday Afternoon at the WFCU Centre

Sunday March 4th, 2012, 8:43pm


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 4045 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

Photo: Kevin Chauvin

Strong goaltending and an even stronger offense were the story for the Saginaw Spirit Sunday afternoon at the WFCU Centre. The Spirit rolled past the Spitfires in a one-sided 7-1 victory.

Vincent Trochek, Brandon Saad and Garrett Ross were the story for Saginaw in the game. The trio worked together to open the scoring 3:30 into the game as the three Saginaw players entered the Windsor zone. Saad dropped the puck back to Trocheck, and he forwarded it to Ross who backhanded it between goalie Jaroslav Pavelka’s legs. The Spits tried to mount some offense of their own, hitting a post on one occasion, and earning the game’s first powerplay, although unsuccessful. The Spirit would strike again. This time, former Spitfire Eric Locke’s shot found the top corner after a pass from another former Spitfire, Grant Webermin. The Spits reduced their deficit to 1 after Zack MacQueen’s shot bounced around and eventually crept in. The Spirit, though, eliminated any hope the young Windsor team had by scoring another. Saad got himself another point by letting a wrist shot go over the Pavelka’s blocker.

The pace of the second period slowed from the first. Equally, the teams had their share of chances. The Spits had good passing, and another close call after MacQueen hit the post. Pavelka made some big saves as well. Windsor started to take control, despite the second period ending scoreless.

Starting the 3rd period with a 3-1 lead, Saginaw took advantage of a gassed Windsor squad. Brandon Saad scored his second of the game less than two minutes in. The Spits partially blocked the shot, but the puck glided to Saad, waiting beside the net. Later, Steven Strong stopped a clearing attempt, and his slap shot went off the cross bar and into the back of net. At one point in the period, Windsor couldn’t even break into the Saginaw zone. The Spirit were unrelenting, delivering the final blows to the already wounded Windsor Spitfires. Trocheck tipped Strong’s shot past Pavelka, and Michael Fine scored another from in close beside the net. In the end, the Windsor Spitfires could not overcome the obstacle in front of them losing their second straight game.

The Windsor Spitfires’ next home game is this Thursday when they face playoff chasers Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message