The Capitol Theatre & The Capital Budget
Saturday April 2nd, 2011
Posted at 2:00pm
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2882 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
In February Mayor Eddie Francis invited members of the media for a tour of the Capitol where it is reported over a million dollars are needed to repair the facility and bring it up to current city standards.
Members of the local arts community are not very concerned, because the City of Windsor’s 2011 Capital budget has no recommendations in it specifically for the needed repairs to the Capitol.
They are now asking for the public to help this architectural and cultural treasure for the Windsor-Essex Community.
You can help to keep it open for local amateur theatre, local professional theatre, local dance groups and the Windsor International Film Festival, as well as professional performance groups from everywhere.
They list several ways to help:
- CALL or EMAIL your City Councillor. Ask them to support the CAPITOL THEATRE
- ATTEND the City Council Capital Budget meeting at 4pm on Wednesday, April 6
- APPEAR AS A DELEGATION in support of Capital Funding for repairs to the Capitol Theatre
- Call on the City to perform required repairs and restoration, and maintain the physical integrity of the building. (to get on the delegation list, call City Clerk’s Office – 519.255.6432)
- Note that the Capitol Theatre Steering Committee is appearing as a delegation.
Check out the current conditions of the Capitol with a photo tour by our Jaron Loban.