Scattered CloudsNow
29 °C
84 °F
Partly CloudySun
28 °C
84 °F
33 °C
91 °F
Partly CloudyTue
28 °C
83 °F
Send Us A News Tip

Friday November 14th, 2014

Posted at 8:13am

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hello time traveller!

This article is 1290 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for achival purposes.

The weather outside was frightful, but inside, the Windsor Express were on fire. On a snowy Thursday night in Windsor, the Express took to the court for a rematch against their NBL Finals opponents, the Island Storm. Gary Gibson and Kevin Loiselle stepped up to shut down the visitors as Windsor pulled away from the Island with a 100-85 victory.

Gibson put up 22 points and had 5 assists while Loiselle scored 17 points and grabbed 9 rebounds. Chris Commons added 13 points and 8 rebounds.

The Island Storm kept up with the Express, and were even one step ahead for much of the opening quarter. They forced turnovers and mistakes as Windsor seemed a touch too slow. The Storm, on numerous occasions, were able to set up odd-man rushes down the court. In doing so, the offense put the Island up 17-16 after 15 minutes.

It wouldn’t take the Express long to get back on track, however. Windsor quickly took the lead after some Storm mishaps, followed by game-changing plays. Kevin Loiselle hit a three-pointer, Gary Gibson drove hard to the net, and Chris Commons sank a few threes as well. Loiselle had himself a huge block, but the crowd jeered after the block was called for basket interference. Despite the misfortune, the Express rolled away into a 43-36 lead at halftime.

In the second half, Windsor’s defense picked up where its offense left off. Its defensive units were coming up with towering blocks and quick steals. Those types of plays allowed the offense to take charge. The Island tried to stay with the Express though, especially former Windsor player Nick Evans. He played hard to keep the Storm in the game, but he had a tough time keeping up. As the third quarter ended, Windsor was ahead 72-60.

One quarter remained and the Storm still had some fight in them. Constant offense reduced Windsor’s lead to 7. Most of the chances were going the Island’s way in the fourth. However, the Express weren’t done. They were capitalizing on some key rebounds and turnovers, and taking advantage. Off a steal, Loiselle was sent down the court for a two-handed slam. He had a strong second half of the game to ensure Windsor would come out on top. And in the end, it did. The Express defeated the Storm 100-85.

Windsor is back at the WFCU Centre Saturday night against the Mississauga Power at 7pm.

Do You Like This Article?