ClearNow
20 °C
68 °F
Chance of RainTue
28 °C
82 °F
Partly CloudyWed
28 °C
82 °F
ThunderstormThu
29 °C
84 °F
Send Us A News Tip

Monday November 3rd, 2014

Posted at 11:00am

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

It’s carbon monoxide awareness week and Windsor Fire and Rescue Services is reminding residents that it is now the law in Ontario to install carbon monoxide alarms in your homes if there is a fuel-burning appliance or an attached garage.

“If your home has a fuel-burning appliance or an attached garage, you must have a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home,” says fire chief Bruce Montone. “For added protection, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every storey of your home according to manufacturer’s instructions.”

Fuel-burning appliances can include furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves and vehicles.

Owners of single-family homes and of residential buildings that contain no more than six suites have until April 15th, 2015 to comply with the new law.

Owners of residential buildings with more than six suites have until October 15th, 2015 to comply.

Do You Like This Article?