Partly CloudyNow
25 °C
77 °F
Partly CloudyThu
27 °C
81 °F
29 °C
84 °F
Chance of a ThunderstormSat
29 °C
84 °F
Send Us A News Tip

Sunday September 28th, 2014

Posted at 11:59pm

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hello time traveller!

This article is 1334 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for achival purposes.

The skies darkened over the WFCU Centre Sunday afternoon. Once again, the Spitfires were off to a hot start, but couldn’t quite overcome the defending OHL Champions. The teams were equally matched all game, but a third period goal put the opposition on top. The Guelph Storm pulled off a 2-1 win over Windsor.

Throughout the opening period, the Storm’s physical game stepped up to crunch the Spits out of plays, all while maintaining a sharp defense. The physicality was countered by a fast-paced style. Windsor’s young quickness proved to be too much for Guelph. It took nearly 20 minutes, but the Spitfires were able to use their speed to draw a penalty, and take advantage of it. Seconds into a powerplay, a pokecheck from Luke Kirwan set up Logan Brown’s swift shot that bested Justin Nichols. Windsor was up 1-0 after the first period.

The visitors apparently regrouped during the break between periods, because they came out and scored the tying goal early. The lone goal of the second was scored just 1:26 into the period while the Spitfires were killing a 5-on-3. The Storm defensemen exchanged passes before Ben Harpur fired a slapshot past Alex Fotinos to tie the game. The score remained 1-1 with one period to play.

The final frame was evenly matched, much like the rest of the game. The teams each tried for the go-ahead goal while staying strong in their respective zones. The Spits ran into penalty trouble again, putting themselves down two players. Fortunately, they killed the two infractions. Windsor would strike back with offense of its own. A shot from the blue line rang off the crossbar; that was the closest they would get to a goal.  Ultimately, Guelph came out on top after Matthew Hotchkiss snatched a loose puck and beat Fotinos with a quick backhand-forehand move. The goal was insurmountable for the Spitfires as the Guelph Storm skated away with a 2-1 victory over Windsor.

Windsor will recover from its weekend and welcome the Barrie Colts to the WFCU Centre this Thursday, October 2nd at 7:05pm.

Do You Like This Article?