27 New Cases Of COVID-19, 1 New School Outbreak As Of Thursday

Thursday November 19th, 2020

Posted at 10:06am

0
0
0

The Windsor Essex County Health Unit has announced 27 new cases of COVID-19 as of Thursday, bringing the local total to 3,165. They say 2,888 people locally have recovered.

Cases increased from 3,139 on Wednesday November 18th to 3,165 on Thursday November 19th and 200 cases of COVID-19 are currently active in Windsor-Essex.

The Health Unit says 9 cases are close contacts of confirmed cases, 5 cases are community acquired, and 13 cases are still being investigated.

There have been no additional deaths due to COVID-19 as of Thursday and the local death toll stands at 77.

As of Thursday, the Health Unit lists 9 people as hospitalized, and 2 people in the ICU with confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Windsor Essex. Ten hospitalizations are listed at Windsor Regional Hospital.

Long-term Care / Retirement Home Outbreaks

As of Thursday there are three outbreaks:

  • Berkshire Care Center (Windsor) has 1 staff case
  • Lifetimes on Riverside (Windsor) has 5 resident cases and 4 staff cases
  • Iller Lodge (Essex) has 17 resident cases and 1 staff case

Workplace Outbreaks

As of Thursday there is one workplace outbreak at an agri-farm in Leamington.

School Outbreaks

As of Thursday there are two school outbreaks.

F.W. Begley Elementary School is under outbreak. The Health Unit is recommending testing for students and staff.

A second school outbreak is being reported today. Health Unit CEO Theresa Marentette says an outbreak has been declared following “at least” two COVID-19 cases in a classroom at W.J. Langlois Catholic Elementary School in Windsor.

The Health Unit says a school outbreak is declared if there are two or more cases in a school and if there is evidence that at least one case could have been infected in the school.

Marentette says the outbreak is contained to one classroom cohort, which had previously been dismissed and told to isolate for 14 days, and not the entire school.

Dr. Wajid Ahmed, Medical Officer of Health says the Health Unit is recommending everyone from that cohort get tested for COVID-19.

Catholic Board communications coordinator Stephen Fields says the rest of the school remains open and learning will continue as usual.

“At this time all other students and staff are deemed low-risk and can continue to attend school,” he said.

Do You Like This Article?