7 °C
44 °F
Increasing CloudinessFri
8 °C
46 °F
Periods Of Rain Or DrizzleSat
12 °C
54 °F
A Mix Of Sun And CloudSun
15 °C
59 °F

Things To Do In
Windsor Essex

Follow Us On

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

WITH PHOTOS: Speedy Start Not Enough Against Knights

Sunday November 29th, 2015, 8:31pm


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 3015 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

Photos by Tim Cornett / Windsor Spitfires

The Windsor Spitfires split their weekend with Saginaw, and were looking to gain some ground in the Western Conference against the London Knights. Despite a strong start, the team collapsed in the third, and the Knights took the game away from the Spits. Windsor fell to its rival 5-3 Sunday afternoon at the WFCU Centre.

The Spitfires needed a quick start against a strong Knights team. They got what they were looking for just over four minutes in. it was Mikhail Sergachev who got the game rolling with a laser of a slapshot from the top of the right circle. The lead was short-lived though, as London responded seconds later. The Knights gained possession off the ensuing faceoff, and rushed up the ice. An initial shot bounced off the end boards, rebounding right to Kole Sherwood, who put it past Garret Hughson. Again, the Spitfires grabbed a lead, this one two and a half minutes after London’s tying goal. Captain Patrick Sanvido blasted a shot from the point that made its way to the back of the net. Following the quick flurry of goals, the game seemed to slow down and the teams were able to get settled, without getting flustered. At the end of the first, Windsor was up 2-1.

Things would turn around early in the second as the Spits took back-to-back penalties. It took a third Windsor penalty for London to strike and get the equalizer. The Knights broke into the zone, crashed the Windsor net and managed to poke the puck across the line. This time, in similar fashion to the visitors, the Spits scored just 36 seconds later. Once more, from the top of the right circle, Sergachev fired a wicked wrist-shot that made its way straight in. Windsor had the upper hand after two periods, leading 3-2.

When the third period came around, no one would’ve guessed that it would go the way it did. Only 27 seconds into the final frame, London scored their third tying goal of the game. On the powerplay, while cycling the puck, Matthew Tkatchuk let his shot go that beat Hughson. Later, Christian Dvorak broke free on a breakaway, and snuck the puck between the goalie’s skate and the post. It seemed London had more drive than Windsor in the third. The Spitfires couldn’t build much pressure against the Knights, even in the late stages of the game. London capped off the scoring with an empty net goal. Windsor couldn’t hang on, and lost 5-3 to the Knights.

Windsor is back in action Thursday, December 3rd when they play the Flint Firebirds at 7:05pm, at the WFCU Centre.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message