13 °C
56 °F
Chance Of ShowersTue
16 °C
61 °F
10 °C
50 °F
14 °C
57 °F

Things To Do In
Windsor Essex

Follow Us On

Traffic Cameras


Sign Up Here

Lowest Gas Prices

No Tricks, Just Treats In Windsor’s 5-1 Win

Saturday October 31st, 2015, 7:26pm


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 3097 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

On the spookiest day of the year, the Windsor Spitfires delighted the fans with plenty of treats. They bounced back from a loss the night before in London to take out the Guelph Storm 5-1 in Windsor.

Right off the hop, the Spitfires pounced and grabbed a lead. Christian Fischer scored just 35 seconds in. Logan Brown slid a cross-ice pass to Fischer, who then fired the puck into the back of the net. Next, Andrew Burns scored his first OHL goal with a slapshot from the left circle. With a crowd standing in front, the defenseman blasted a shot through traffic and in. After two quick Windsor goals, Guelph opted to switch its goaltenders. The Spits were getting creative with their plays and narrowly put the puck in again. The team had a few 3-on-2 plays that came close. They remained focused as the Storm were scrambling. Windsor wasn’t able to capitalize on those first period opportunities, but it was on top 2-0 after one.

Contrary to the first, the Storm came out fast and strong to match Windsor’s start. As a result, the visitors cut the lead in half after only 54 seconds. A slap shot from the point from captain C.J. Garcia gave Guelph some life early. The visitors came dangerously close again on the very next shift as Windsor found itself having trouble clearing the puck. The Spitfires couldn’t gain possession while the Storm fought hard to tie the game. Windsor made it out alive to slow the game back down and regain control. Once the Spitfires had the puck in their hands, they took back their momentum. On a swift rush up the ice, Aaron Luchuk redirected a centering pass while heading to the front of the net. A little later, in his first game back in Windsor since serving a five-game suspension, Logan Brown put the Spitfires up by three. The puck was sent up the ice, and a one-touch pass from Fischer to Bradley Latour set up the play. Latour found Brown skating into the slot for the hard one-timer that beat the goalie clean. After 40 minutes, the Spits were up 4-1.

In the third, Windsor worked hard early on and had a few chances. One of those paid off as Fischer put in his second goal of the game five and a half minutes in. he took his time down low before picking off the corner above the goalie’s shoulder. There wasn’t much room, but the forward made it happen as the Spits extended their lead to four. Windsor had numerous opportunities to extend its lead when the team had powerplay after powerplay. Despite the missed advantages, the Spitfires were able to finish the game with a solid 5-1 victory over the Guelph Storm.

Windsor isn’t back in action at the WFCU Centre until Sunday, November 15th at 2:05pm when they face the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message