Mostly CloudyNow
23 °C
74 °F
Mainly SunnyThu
26 °C
79 °F
A Mix Of Sun And CloudFri
24 °C
75 °F
24 °C
75 °F

Local Events

Daily Newsletter Sign Up

Traffic Cameras

Photo Of The Day

Lowest Gas Prices

Spitfires Stumble On Special Night

Thursday February 19th, 2015, 7:59am


Hello time traveller!!
This article is 3136 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

For years, the Windsor-Plymouth rivalry remained strong. On an already special Wednesday night, the rivalry may have come to a close, with the Plymouth Whalers coming out on top. In a possible last match-up between the Spitfires and the Whalers, Markus Soberg scored the lone goal as Windsor fell 3-1 to Plymouth inside the WFCU Centre.

Because of the loss, the Spits failed to close the gap on the Saginaw Spirit for the last playoff spot.

The ceremonious night began with a special pregame tribute to the late Mickey Renaud. His parents, the coaches, the players, and fans in attendance celebrated and honoured the memory of the Spitfires captain that passed away suddenly seven years ago.

Things started on a positive note for Windsor. Once the teams got a feel for each other, the Spitfires went to work. Deep in the Whalers end, Jamie Lewis, from the corner, found Markus Soberg out front. He tapped the puck past Alex Nedeljkovic and in. With the goal, the Spits controlled much of the momentum in the first period. Time was ticking down when Sonny Milano took a double-minor for high-sticking. The penalty would carry over into the next period as the buzzer sounded. After 20 minutes, Windsor was up 1-0.

Beginning on the powerplay, the Spitfires came close to taking a two-goal lead. a nice move down low wasn’t enough to beat Nedeljkovic, though. In fact, it was the Plymouth goaltender that setup the tying goal for the visitors. He sent the puck up to Connor Chatham, who blew past the defense and slipped it between Alex Fotinos’ pads.  The Windsor goalie got redemption on numerous chances a little later. Fotinos made key, acrobatic stops to keep it a tie game. Both goalies were on point as the rivals were tied at one with a period to play.

The teams maintained a quick pace in the third to really open up the play on the ice. Chances at both ends were had and halted. It was an evenly matched third period, until the Whalers took advantage. Flying down the left boards, Milano flipped a centering pass to Will Bitten. He slapped the puck in before the goalie could make it across. Fotinos got a piece of it, but not enough. The goal sucked the energy right out of the crowd as the Whalers grabbed a 2-1 lead. Plenty of time remained for the Spits to even the game, though, especially after quite a few chances. However, they couldn’t solve Nedeljkovic once more. Instead, Windsor had a two-goal deficit to overcome. A little over four minutes was left when Milano’s shot through a screen made its way past everybody, including Fotinos. The goal would seal Windsor’s fate. The Spitfires were defeated 3-1 by the Plymouth Whalers.

Windsor is back in action at the WFCU Centre Thursday, February 26th at 7:05pm when they take on the Ottawa 67s.

Daily Newsletter

Sign up to receive all the latest, local news stories you may have missed!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Do You Like This Article?

Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message
Content Continues Below Local Sponsor Message