Demolition Starts for New Windsor-Detroit Tunnel Plaza
Thursday August 2nd, 2012
Posted at 11:15am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2394 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Demolition has begun to remove four shuttered buildings standing in the way of a new Windsor-Detroit Tunnel Plaza.
The buildings, including former sushi restaurant Musashi, will make way for a queuing road to be used when Tunnel traffic backs up.
Once demolition is complete, work will get underway to build the new plaza.
Goyeau Street will be permanently closed between Park and Wyandotte.
The project primarily includes:
- new car access routes
- new plaza buildings for Canada Border Services Agency and a tunnel maintenance building
- additional car inspection lanes and Nexus lanes
- moving a City of Windsor Permit Parking lot to the location of the old Beer Store
Outside of the plaza work includes:
- Closure of Goyeau Street between Park Street and Wyandotte Street (to become part of the extended plaza area)
- Reconfigure City Hall Square to two-way traffic
- Reconfigure Park Street to two-way traffic between Goyeau Street and City Hall Square
- Reconfigure ‘Lot 10’ Permit Parking (southeast corner of Park Street and Goyeau Street)
- Gateway landscaping at the main access at Goyeau Street / Wyandotte Street