Goyeau Street Near Tunnel Closes To Local Traffic Forever, February 11th
Thursday January 31st, 2013
Posted at 10:00am
Hello time traveller!!
This article is 2058 days old.
The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.
Goyeau Street is set to close for good between Wyandotte and Park as construction of Windsor’s new tunnel plaza kicks into high gear in mid-February.
The City of Windsor has released a new video on their YouTube channel detailing exactly how traffic will flow, and how you’ll soon only be able to access the tunnel from Wyandotte Street — with future plans for an entrance at Park and Goyeau.
Beginning Monday, February 11th, 2013, travellers to the United States will access the tunnel via Goyeau Street at Wyandotte Street only. Goyeau Street between Wyandotte Street and Park Street will be used for tunnel access only and no longer for traffic access to local roads.
Work on Windsor’s new tunnel plaza has been underway for months and the first signs of the new layout are starting to be visible to commuters. Workers are presently building the new plaza’s future maintenance building, a structure which is located close to Wyandotte Street.
The new plaza’s finalized design will include a queueing area when traffic wait volumes increase and an entirely landscaped area.
The project primarily includes:
- new car access routes
- new plaza buildings for Canada Border Services Agency and a tunnel maintenance building
- additional car inspection lanes and Nexus lanes
- moving a City of Windsor Permit Parking lot to the location of the old Beer Store
Outside of the plaza work includes:
- Closure of Goyeau Street between Park Street and Wyandotte Street (to become part of the extended plaza area)
- Reconfigure City Hall Square to two-way traffic
- Reconfigure Park Street to two-way traffic between Goyeau Street and City Hall Square
- Reconfigure ‘Lot 10’ Permit Parking (southeast corner of Park Street and Goyeau Street)
- Gateway landscaping at the main access at Goyeau Street / Wyandotte Street