“The amount of candy that people consume is alarming”, Keats was quoted as saying. “One of the main problems is the smaller snack sizes that the candy manufacturers have made available. Eating several mini chocolate bars is something people see as ok because of their smaller size.”
But the fitness expert reminds dieters that just because something is smaller doesn’t mean it’s ok to consume as many as they want. “For men and women trying to lose weight it‟s imperative that they follow a plan and goals. They can‟t just have bags and bags of Halloween candy laying around for Trick or Treaters and not expect to have their fair share – if they don‟t have a plan.”
Keats recommends these 5 tips for keeping the pounds off while still allowing for a Halloween treat:
1) Allow yourself just one piece of candy in the morning and then one at night. Skip any desserts that you would normally eat after dinner.
2) Only buy enough candy so that you expect to run out before the evening is over. It‟s crucial to weight loss success to not have “trigger” foods lying around – the temptation is often too great.
3) Increase your exercise activity by thirty minutes on every day that you eat your two pieces of candy. This will counteract the increase in calories that you are consuming.
4) If people indulge a bit too much it‟s important to forgive themselves and move on. Dwelling on the past will not help their success.
5) Try to incorporate healthier snacks as treats such as dried fruit, nuts or fruit rather than the typical chocolates and sugar laden candies.