OvercastNow
9 °C
48 °F
RainTue
10 °C
50 °F
Partly CloudyWed
2 °C
36 °F
OvercastThu
3 °C
38 °F
Send Us A News Tip

Monday April 29th, 2013

Posted at 10:00am

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

City Council is set to receive a report requesting demolition of the former Danny’s Tavern on Riverside Drive.

The building at 1271 Riverside Drive East (at Hall) has some heritage elements and has been listed on Windsor’s municipal heritage register.

The John Davis House – the heritage name given to the property – was built in 1890 as a two-and-one-half-story brick house in the “Italianate Revival” style. The original building is associated with former Mayor John Davis and is the “only building remaining from when Moy Hall was an active trading enterprise and farm”.

Mayor Davis was elected five times from 1897 to 1901. Davis’ wife was a relative of one of Windsor’s original settling families for whom such history items as the Duff-Baby House in Sandwich and the Francois Baby House (Windsor’s Community Museum) are named.

Many additions have extended the building over the years in all directions except the southwest corner. Since the building is on the heritage register, a demolition request by the owners takes 60 days during which time City Council may vote to designate the property or permit its demolition.

The building once served as the “Scrivens Hotel” in 1937 and in 1940 became the “Bellevue Hotel” — a popular Walkerville-area social venue. In 1982 it became Danny’s, a club featuring nude male dancers. Danny’s relocated to Downtown Windsor a number of years ago and the property has only been used for an event in the meantime.

Windsor Heritage planner is recommending not to designate the building, which would permit its demolition if City Council does not intervene. City staff say in a report to Council that the “loss of heritage features associated with the original house have the effect of significantly diminishing the original character”.

Do You Like This Article?