Mostly CloudyNow
6 °C
43 °F
ClearFri
9 °C
48 °F
OvercastSat
7 °C
45 °F
ClearSun
4 °C
40 °F
Send Us A News Tip

Friday September 4th, 2015

Posted at 11:03am

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Building Officials with the City of Windsor have completed their investigation into the demolition of the former GM smoke stacks, and they say that they will not be laying any charges.

“We were provided full access to the site by the Jones Group and shown a video clip of the demolition, and we are now satisfied that no explosives were used,” said Chief Building Official John Revell. “The Building Division’s preferred mode of demolition was always by mechanical means in this situation, so we are pleased that they used this method.”

After three failed attempts to bring down the stack by explosives in August, Jones Group then switched tactics and used an excavator to push the smoke stack over Tuesday afternoon.

Not knowing this was taking place, fire crews responded when the stacks came crashing down unannounced, but because they were no longer using explosives, they city does admit that prior notification to the city wasn’t required. Pushing the smoke stack over is a method of demolition allowed under the overall demolition permit for the site.

“It would have been better if City Departments had been notified ahead of time so we could have shared with emergency officials, the media and residents however this was not officially required due to the change in demolition tactics.”

The city says that the very large site allowed ample opportunity to push the smoke stack over and, through the strategic placement of truck trailers and large stacks of scrap steel, the debris from the collapse was safely contained within the site.

On Wednesday Jones Group issued this statement.

Do You Like This Article?